Rome Reborn

Institute for Advanced Techology in the Humanities

Rome Reborn

Horrea Agrippiana

Horrea Agrippiana

Large warehouses, granary, and food market, presumably built by Marcus Agrippa (63 B.C.-12 B.C.), stateman and general under Octavian.

Horrea Agrippiana

From Samuel Ball Platner, A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, rev. Thomas Ashby. Oxford: 1929, p. 260.

Warehouses, presumably built by Agrippa, in Region VIII (h. Agrippiana: Cur.; CIL VI.9972, 10026; XIV.3958 (?); h. Germaniciana et Agrippiana: Not.). Two fragments of the Marble Plan (37, 86) represent the three cohortes of these horrea between the clivus Victoriae and the vicus Tuscus, where excavations since 1904 have disclosed the remains of the largest; and the identification is made certain by the discovery of an altar in situ with an inscription recording the erection of the statue of the Genius Horreorum Agrippianorum. The excavated portion consists of a trapezoidal court surrounded with rectangular chambers of opus quadratum (above which are later upper stories of brickwork) decorated with engaged columns of the Corinthian order of Augustan date. The back wall on the north-east side, originally of opus quadratum, was reconstructed in brickwork by Domitian when he erected the building known as the templum Divi Augusti; and the triangular space between served to conceal the divergent orientation which he introduced into the latter, the horrea having been constructed on the same orientation as the domus Tiberiana. (HC 192; Mitt. 1905, 84; 1925, 213, 214; BC 1911, 158‑172; 1914, 25‑33; YW 1915, 1‑2; RE VIII.2461; Mon. L. XXVII.373; DE III.986‑7; CIL VI.39417.)

View Full Article

Additional source material

©2008 by the Rectors and Visitors of the University of Virginia. All rights reserved.

Credits