Rome Reborn

Institute for Advanced Techology in the Humanities

Rome Reborn

Temple of Minerva, Aventine

Temple of Minerva, Aventine

This was a temple whose annual festival fell on March 19. It was located on Aventine Hill just north of the Temple of Diana. The date and occasion for its founding are unknown; it was restored by Augustus. The earliest mention dates to the second century B.C., when it was used by a guild of writers and actors. This is not surprising since Minerva (Greek Athena) was the patron of the arts and crafts.

From Samuel Ball Platner, A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, rev. Thomas Ashby. Oxford: 1929, p. 342.

View Full Article

Additional source material

©2008 by the Rectors and Visitors of the University of Virginia. All rights reserved.

Credits